Total knee replacement is often the last option when non-surgical treatment options fail to relieve osteoarthritis of the knee. Osteoarthritis, the most common type of arthritis is a degenerative joint disease in which the joint cartilage gradually wears away. As a result, bones rub together resulting in extreme pain. The knee can be divided into three compartments:
- Patellofemoral – The compartment behind the kneecap
- Medial compartment – The compartment on the inside of the knee
- Lateral compartment – The area on the outside of the knee joint
Traditionally total knee replacement surgery involves replacing the damaged cartilage and bone from the surface of the knee joint with a metal implant. This surgery requires substantial amount of bone removal that may have certain limitations. In total knee replacement all the compartments are replaced where as in partial knee replacement only the affected compartment is replaced.
ConforMIS® has developed the personalized knee resurfacing implants with unique advantages against traditional knee replacement options. To design a personalized implant for every individual, surgeon will perform the CT scan of the affected knee of the patient. A 3D image of a patient’s knee is created from CT scans and an implant is designed to conform exactly to individual size and shape.
The advantages of ConforMIS® knee implant include:
- Offers superior fit to individual size and shape
- Requires fewer bone cuts and preserves most of the existing bone and thereby have better prognosis
- Restores your knee’s normal range of motion
- Less traumatic procedure
- Result in faster recovery
- Decreased postoperative pain
Following surgery, you will be able to bear the weight and walk with assistance. You can return to your daily activities within 6 weeks.
iTotal® G2 iFit® Technology Animation
ConforMIS iFit Technology Platform Animation